What is Pet Hospice?
Animal hospice care focuses on bringing comfort and tranquility to your pet in the final period of their life. It is chosen when a family decides that painful therapies would no longer be in the best interests of their pet.
Home to Heaven’s hospice program provides your pet with compassionate relief from terminal illness. Hospice for dogs and cats focuses on caring, not curing. It is based on the idea that death is a natural part of life. Through animal hospice, the dying process can be experienced with dignity, as the pet rests at home with its loving family.
We understand that serious illness profoundly impacts both your pet and your family and loved ones. And we approach each unique case with sensitivity and compassion.
Here are the goals of our Animal Hospice Program:
- We focus on giving pets a safe, caring, intimate end-of-life experience in their familiar home environment.
- Our care focuses on providing pain control and physical comfort to the pet. We also provide educational support and emotional comfort for the family until a natural death occurs or euthanasia is chosen.
- Our doctors serve as teachers, enabling the family to care for their pet's medical and emotional needs at home.
- Families are given time to adjust to their pet's progressive disease and say goodbye in their own way, in the comfort of their own home.
- We ensure a pet's death is a gentler, more intimate experience for both the pet and their family.
Is hospice care right for my pet and my family?
Once a terminal illness has been diagnosed, it is time to discuss how everyone will want to proceed with care. You should learn who wants to help, who can dedicate time to the pet’s care, and what financial resources are available. It is also important to decide early on whether you will assist in the natural dying process or choose euthanasia when the time is right.
Assisting a Natural Death
If you will wait for a natural death, hospice care is critical to prevent suffering by managing the pain and to meet the pet’s needs right up to the end. This level of hospice care is very involved and will take great dedication from everyone in the home.
It can be a profound and beautiful experience to guide your pet along the transition between life and death.
If you choose euthanasia, your family we will help you know the signs that will indicate the time has come. The hospice care time will be reduced, but the level of care will remain high. Euthanasia can be chosen at any time you believe your pet is no longer responding to their medications and treatments.
What hospice care does Home to Heaven provide?
Our doctors are dedicated to helping you and your pet’s bond remain strong during this difficult time. We will be a stable resource for you and assist in anyway we can. As you begin this transitional time, our doctors will provide the following guidance to get you started with confidence:
- Over the phone consultations and in-home visits – 24/7
- Instruction on how to administer your pet’s medication
- Supply use and storage
- Information on disease progression and crisis management
- Daily enrichment programs
- Palliative care
- Help in deciding when the time might be right for euthanasia
- Aftercare options
- Grief support
Our cat and dog hospice care is designed to provide your pet with a personalized palliative care plan that is right for them. We strive to make your pet’s final days comfortable and enjoyable. Treatment may be modified as needed throughout and will include many of the following:
- Pain Management
- Oral medications
- Injectable medications
- Massage and/or physical therapy
- Reducing environmental stressors
- Nutritional Therapy
- Providing a proper diet
- Fluid therapy
- Wound Care
- Cleaning and managing wounds
- Household Modifications
- Temporary ramps, carpet runners
- Pet doors, bed placement, etc.
- Mental Stimulation
- Appropriate toys
- Play dates
- Attention from family and friends
How much does Pet Hospice care cost?
Because every pet’s needs are unique, please call us for service pricing. We can arrange for single visit pricing or develop a more comprehensive plan that is right for you.